Gleanings From
In Christian Fellowship
By Shirley Lindahl
Edited by Jerry Rutherford
Church Was Out of Debt
The statistical report prepared by clerk, Carrie Shumway, for the Washington Congregational Conference Jan. 1, 1913, was a detailed religious census. It showed the population of the town was 60O, two other churches existed in town and the current Kirkland Congregational Church membership was 31. Officers were listed and inventory of the property valued the church building at $3000. The report showed that the church had no debts.
The report showed no evangelism emphasis at that time, some social relationships, a strong Sunday School with 96 enrolled and a successful Christian Endeavor Society.
Church was closed during Rev. Newberry's three week vacation in 1913 but Sunday School continued. A union Sunday School picnic was held in August "at the town picnic ground."
The finance committee listed suggestions to stimulate interest in the church for the coming year. Included were
such ideas as (1) conduct a town census showing religious preference, (2) organize an adult Bible class, (3) welcome strangers and see that all are visited, (4) sing more familiar hymns (we've heard that comment before), (5) have a charity committee and (6) advertise.
A fellowship meeting and church supper held March 5, 1914 attracted 70 people. Reginald H. Collins served as toastmaster. Responses were given by A. B. Newell, mayor of Kirkland. His topic was "Relation of government to church" and Roy Terpenning spoke on the "Relation of school to church" a subject
close to the heart of this high school principal.
According to the record book the janitorial duties had been taken over by the Intermediate boys in 1914, since the Junior boys had done it the previous year. A direct quote from this book: "But it was decided to be too much for them and was left for the Ladies Aid to attend to in the autumn."
In 1914 the choir director was paid for the first time. Mr. Hughes was given "the increase in open collection not to exceed $10/month." One of the first services in which he participated was a special musical program given July 12 "for the aged and infirm. Automobiles were used to bring those who were unable to come by themselves."
Change was in the air in the fall of 1914 when the electric light made its first appearance in Kirkland. Rev. Newberry reported the fund from the sale of the old parsonage still had $65 which he felt should now be used to wire the church for electric lights. The remainder of the fund was used to repair the leaky roof. (Yes, our history often speaks of "leaky roof.")
Light of another kind posed a problem due to the arrangement of the pews. "The light from the large south window has always been trying to the speaker so the seats were changed to face the east as the building was
originally planned."
Still another change occurred early in 1915 when it was voted to discontinue the Sunday evening 5 o'clock vesper service due to poor attendance. It was decided to try an adult
Christian Endeavor instead. By April 25 (before daylight saving was ever begun) "It was decided that during the longer daylight hours to hold the Sunday evening service at 7 o'clock instead of 5 o'clock."
Even these meetings were discontinued during July and August to give the pastor free time to hold meetings at his mission churches. He preached on Rose Hill on Sunday afternoons. He also included missionary work in Juanita, Avondale and Willows in Redmond.
Back to History Previous Gleaning Next Gleaning
