Kirkland Congregational Church

A Progressive Christian Voice in the Heart of Kirkland

Gleanings From
In Christian Fellowship

By Shirley Lindahl
Edited by Jerry Rutherford

Beginning of the Newberry Era

It was time to find a new minister again. When a supply minister Rev. Scudder, Congregational Conference Superintendent, had come to preach on Sept 6, 1908 he told the members, "that Rev. C. E. Newberry, who had been located at Coupeville (Whidbey Island) for a number of years as pastor desired to locate near Seattle and he might be secured if the church wished to contact him.

Little did the congregation know when this remarkable man accepted their call that he would remain for nearly 30 years, a constancy which would allow the church to grow. Rev. Charles Edwin Newberry served not only his church but his community and was often called "Father of Kirkland." As well as being a minister he also served as mayor, city clerk, councilman and school teacher.

Born in Rochester, Michigan, in 1854 he graduated from Oberlin College in 1881. He was ordained two years later at St. Ignace, Michigan. Later that same year in Edgerton, Ohio, he married Amelia Jamison, one of his high school students who was nine years his junior.

The young couple came to Washington Territory in 1884 settling in Steilacoom where he was pastor for four years, with the added duties of three missions and chaplain at the state asylum located there. (Washington became a state in 1889.) From 1886 to 1908 he was superintendent and teacher at the Congregational Puget Sound Academy which was located at Coupeville, Whidbey Island.

When the Newberrys arrived in Kirkland the church had no parsonage so they lived temporarily in the basement of the church. They rented the Bell home while their own house was being built in 1909. (The Bell house later was owned by Hans and Gudrun Ona who were the parents of Gen Cox. She lived there for several years before marrying Eva.) This house still stands at the corner of 6th St. and First Ave. across from the church sanctuary. It is one of Kirkland's historic homes.

Newcomers who breathed new life into the church were the Shumway family. The eight adult members of this family of brothers and sisters chose four acres an a hillside (near 7th Ave So--above Lake Washington Blvd.) with a sweeping view of the lake. An 18 room home with dormer windows had a rose arbor and formal flower gardens. It was constructed by J. G. Bartsch, a church member, who had also constructed the two-story Central School. (This school was on the site that is now Kirkland City Hall.) He also built the original Rose Hill School. The Shumway home later became the Heyer Clinic. In March of 1985 a momentous moving task was undertaken and this beautiful historical home was moved to Juanita where wedding receptions, social functions and seminars are held. The owners have furnished the home with antiques and it is maintaining another part of Eastside history. It is the Shumway Mansion.

Four of the Shumway sisters became active in the church and offered their home often for church meetings. Emma & Carrie joined the church. They were school teachers is Seattle as was their sister, Mary. They made the ferry trip across the lake each day.

Rev. Newberry soon discovered that the church he had come to serve was low in membership and was always struggling to meet its budget. He reminded the members in 1910 that they were in arrears four years for association dues so a special drive was held.

In an effort to raise all of the money needed the members raised $540 in subscription and received $150 from the Ladies Aid, but they were still short of their goal. They decided to ask for $100 in aid from the American Home Mission and to further attempt to raise the remainder during the coming year.


Back to History  Previous Gleaning  Next Gleaning