Gleanings From
In Christian Fellowship
By Shirley Lindahl
Edited by Jerry Rutherford
Boom Affected Life in the Church
The activity of Peter Kirk to build his steel mill had its effect on the church and its members. Harry French and Ed Church put up one of the brick buildings on Market St. It was to be a combination grocery store and post office. Today this building is the Masonic Temple of Kirkland Lodge F. & A.M. (Corner of 7th Ave. & market Street.)
Business was brisk on the lake so Frank Curtis and his teenage sons Alvin & Walt sold some of their land to help finance the building of a 60 foot steamer, "Elfin." In 1891 the competition was keen. The fare to Seattle was 10 cents each way. The speedy little steamer held 35 passengers of 2 1/2 tons of freight and traveled at 12 m.p.h. On the six trips it made daily between Kirkland, Houghton, Yarrow and Seattle. Some days it had as many as 180 passengers because many people were crossing to Madison St. where the cable car had begun operating in 1889. This meant a lot of wood chopping each day for young Walt to keep the steamer fueled. (Sounds like a good idea to move traffic across the lake at this time!!)
On February 9, 1890, the church took in 22 new members. Included in those who joined by confession of their faith that Sunday were young Peter Kirk, Jr. and his sisters Fanny, Clara and Mary. Another sister, Florence, had been assistant organist for a short time before she married and returned to England.
A Christmas program was held for the first time in 1890. The church clerk, George Taylor wrote: "At about 7:30 PM the little church on the lakefront began to assume a lively appearance and at 8 o'clock it was packed to overflowing. A Christmas tree was hung with presents. Candies and sweet meats were handed out. A literary and musical program provided the entertainment."
In 1893 financial disaster struck the United States and the ripples reached Kirkland in a devastating manner. Eastern capital was suddenly withdrawn from the young steel company and before it ever reached production it was declared bankrupt. It is estimated over a million dollars was lost by those who had invested in the area.
The flourishing community was becoming deserted. There were no jobs so families moved away leaving empty houses and closed businesses behind. Church membership began to dwindle.
When the population was growing in 1890 Rev. Rose had suggested that a new church should be formed further north "to hold the field against any similar church." Following the bankruptcy of the steel mill several suggested that a request for consolidation of the two churches be considered.
Rev. Rose had resigned and the new pastor Rev. Horatio Ailing had been called with the understanding that he would serve both churches. An Ecclesiastical Council was called in January, 1894. After deliberating the consolidation they were unanimous in the opinion that the two churches should be united.
The joint services were held for the next four months with favorable results so the members were canvassed and a meeting held July 3, 1894, where a resolution was adopted unanimously and became known as The First Congregational Church of Kirkland.
Back to History Previous Gleaning Next Gleaning
